Hello and welcome! We’re delighted that you’ve chosen to join us for a week of Bible study and fellowship at the Abrahamic Faith Gathering. What follows is a short guide to help you prepare for an enjoyable time with brothers, sisters and friends from around the world. Some of these tips apply to almost any Bible school, while others are unique to the Gathering and to our host site, Slippery Rock University. We hope you find them to be helpful.
Mid-summer is generally a warm – and often humid – time of year in Western Pennsylvania. Temperatures can vary, of course, but morning lows are often in the 50s and 60s, while afternoon highs tend to get into the low 80s (and, in some years, will creep into the lower 90s). Sunny days usually outnumber rainy ones.
This is a matter of personal preference, but helpful items - as suggested by members of our Gathering Committee may include the following:
- Your Bible!
- Pillows, blankets, bedsheets. The university provides linens at a cost of $12 per set, payable by the attendee. We recommend that everyone bring their own. Alternately, if you are traveling by air, the Gathering Committee may be able to supply you with linens (limited quantity).
- Mattresses are XL twins. While the dorms are very comfortable, some find the beds to be harder than they’re used to.
- Bath towels
- Floor mats for bathrooms
- Hand soap
- Blow dryer
- Clothes hangers
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Rolling luggage, which makes for easier loading and unloading
- Snacks to keep in your room (note that suites do have a full set of kitchen appliances)
- Swimsuits and beach towels for those planning to use the college pool
- Workout clothes and sports equipment (we have access to a fitness center and a gym as well as the pool)
- Jacket, shirt and tie (for brothers in case they are called upon to serve)
There are plenty of stores and pharmacies in and around Slippery Rock from which you can buy just about anything you need. Also, it never hurts to ask your dorm neighbors for something. Gathering attendees are always happy to share!
Yes, actually, there are a few:
- For golfers, there is usually a mid-week golf outing, so you are encouraged to bring your clubs.
- There are evening praise programs for both adults and young people, so please feel free to bring instruments, sheet music or anything else you might need.
- We also have Tabitha’s Treasures, which sells handcrafted items to raise money for the Gathering Speakers Travel Fund. If you have any items to donate, they will be gratefully accepted!
- In the evenings we have social hours with snacks. Any donations of snack food healthy or otherwise are appreciated. If your group / ecclesia would like to help coordinate a social hour, please contact Sis. Cindy Ross (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any and all questions! We want to make your Gathering experience as uplifting and enjoyable as possible. A good place to start is with Gathering Secretary Bro. Brad Rek (330-233-2692 email@example.com).